With days getting shorter and darker, it is time to bring some sunshine to your plate! Turmeric and ginger are the stars of this healthy dish, trialled and approved by our team members.
Want to try it for yourself ? Here is the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 400 ml/1.5 cups of coconut milk (you can use almond milk for a more neutral taste)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 250 gr mushrooms – sliced
- Fresh ginger, to taste (powdered is fine too)
- Fresh turmeric to taste (powdered is fine)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 2 handfuls fresh spinach or kale
- Spices: you can also add coriander, cumin or garam masala
- Garnish: you can use parsley or coriander
- Substitutions: the olive oil can be replaced by avocado oil, sesame oil or cold-pressed rapeseed oil, but be mindful that it might alter the taste. If you do not like coconut milk then you can use another plant-based milk – almond milk works well for a more neutral taste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic, stirring frequently.
- Once the onion starts to become translucent, add the mushrooms and cook until they shrink and most of the water is gone.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the turmeric, ginger, and other spices. Cook for 1 minute
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk and spinach/kale and lower the heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover, season to taste and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, with a side of your choice. We recommend brown or wild rice.
Enjoy! And please do let us know what you think in the comments.