This week marks World Heart Health Day so we're giving our top tips to eat your way to a healthy heart.
1. Be smart about fats
If you are concerned about your cardiovascular health, rather than avoiding fat in your diet, try replacing unhealthy fats with good fats. Limit saturated fats and trans fats. These are bad for you and can raise your 'LDL' (or bad) cholesterol and lower your 'HDL' (or good) cholesterol.
Eat more healthy fats. Eating foods rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat can improve blood cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease. Eat omega 3 fatty acids every day, from fatty fish such as salmon, trout, or herring, or from flaxseed, kale, spinach, or walnuts. Other sources of healthy fats include olive oil, avocados, nuts, and nut butters.
2. Don’t replace fat with sugar or refined carbs
When cutting back on heart-risky foods, such unhealthy fats, it’s important to replace them with healthy alternatives. Replacing processed meats with fish or chicken, for example, can make a positive difference to your health. But switching animal fats for refined carbohydrates, though—such as replacing your breakfast bacon with a donut or sugary cereal—won’t do anything to lower your risk for cardiovascular disease.
3. Focus on high-fiber food
A diet high in fiber can lower “bad” cholesterol and provide nutrients that help protect against heart disease. As an added bonus, it may also help you to lose weight. Since fiber stays in the stomach longer than other foods, the feeling of fullness will stay with you much longer, helping you eat less.
4. Watch your salt intake
Steer clear of salt and processed foods. Eating a lot of salt can contribute to high blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The recommended salt intake is no more than a teaspoon of salt a day for an adult.
5. Consider taking a supplement
It is sometimes difficult to get as much our of our diet as we need, in order to maintain a healthy heart. The good news is that there are many supplements we can take to give us a helping hand.
- KRILL OIL - KRILL OIL from FutureYou is the most concentrated krill supplement available. Each easy to swallow capsule is rich in omega 3 and contains unrivalled concentrations of EPA and DHA to support a healthy heart and liver. Capsules are vanilla flavoured to improve taste.
- BLACK GARLIC - BLACK GARLIC is produced by a unique ageing process, which delivers a highly bioavailable and odourless formulation. Each capsule has a 10x higher S-allylcysteine and polyphenol content compared with standard garlic.
- CO-ENZYME Q10 - Co-enzyme Q10, also known as CoQ10, is a fat-soluble substance that is very similar to a vitamin. Our bodies naturally produce co-enzyme Q10 and our cells use it to generate the energy we need to function.
- BLOOD FLOW+ - Dubbed 'the chocolate pill', this potent cocoa flavanol extract contributes towards normal blood flow and circulation by maintaining the elasticity of the blood vessels.
- ATERONON HEART - Attracting world wide interest, one capsule of the Cambridge researched 'tomato pill', contains as much of the powerful antioxidant, Lycopene, as one kilogram of tomatoes.